H/FOSS Project Tools/Structures/Communication
Discussion of Project Reviews; Discussion of tools and structures of H/FOSS projects; Communication tools and tips.
Preparation and Readings
- Producing OSS: Starting From What You Have - This is written from perspective starting a new FOSS project and what is necessary to make it good. Try to read it instead from the perspective of assessing the quality of an existing project.
- Producing OSS: Bug Tracker - an overview of bug trackers and how they are and should be used in projects.
- Teaching OSS: Chapter 3 - Communicating (Sections 3.4-3.10. You are not required to do the exercises. Use Next button at the bottom of each page) - looks at a variety of communication tools typically used in FOSS projects, and gives some good tips for using each.
Producing OSS: IRC/Real-Time Chat Systems - Discusses IRC and other real-time communication systems, and gives some particularly good advice regarding the use of “Paste Sites”.
- Post questions for class discussion to the Moodle forum. Please also feel free to comment on or respond to others’ questions as appropriate.
- Project Anatomy Activity - It is recommended to work though at least one of the Guided Tours at the bottom (either Sugar Labs or Sahana Eden) to see some concrete examples of how the project components discussed in the readings appear in real projects. You don’t have to write answers to any of the questions, but think about them.
- Reading and Preparation for next class discussion. Details are on the page for the next meeting (Individual)
- H/FOSS Project Review II This is your second project review (not required if pursuing Honors), repeat the process for your first project review with a second H/FOSS project. (Individual)