Linux System Administration
Discussion of Project Reviews; Introduction of Project Ranking & Selection; Selection of project groupings by students; System administration and Software installation activity.
Preparation and Readings
Watch Ubuntu Complete Beginner’s Guide 2021: How To Install, Remove, and Update New Apps – Explains the use of the “Ubuntu Software” application, also often known as “Ubuntu Software Center.” This is a GUI application for installing, and removing, and updating applications in Ubuntu.
Watch 7 Apt Commands Every Ubuntu Linux User Should Know. This is a YouTube video that goes over the basics of the
aptcommand-line tool. The
aptprogram provides features for installing, removing, upgrading, and managing software on Ubuntu. The name
aptis derived from Advanced Package Tool, which is itself a larger framework of software management tools available for several Linux distributions, including Ubuntu.
- Package Management Basics: apt, yum, dnf, pkg – discusses package management generally and a range of different tools from different flavors of linux.
Software Installation activity (Pairs)
- Complete the Software Installation activity (Pairs)
- Reading and Preparation for next class discussion. Details are on the page for the next meeting (Individual)
- Complete the Learn Git Branching: Introduction Sequence (1-4) with Slack live-log (create a new private channel e.g. “gb-yz-git”, invite your instructor and your partner) (Paired)
- Complete “Part 1 - Before the First Class” in the Git/GitHub Workflow Activity. Append to your Slack live-log (Paired).
- H/FOSS Project Ranking & Selection (Teams)